Thursday, February 17, 2011

Words as wide as skies

My new favorite thing in Spain is Vida Abundante. This past Sunday we went with some new friends to a church not far from our school. Let me just say that it was wonderful. Everyone was really welcoming. I think we got a kiss on each cheek from everyone. The worship was David Crowder's "How He Loves Us" -- ¡Cuanto nos ama!, Chris Tomlin's "Sing Sing Sing" -- ¡Vamos a cantar!, and (someone's) "Oh Happy Day" -- ¡Oh día feliz!" During worship I thought about David Crowder's song "I need you." I couldn't stop thinking about the words to that song.


I need words as wide as skies
I need a language as large as this longing inside.
I need a voice bigger than mine.
And I need a song to sing you that I’ve yet to find.

I've always loved this song but now that I can speak two languages, it has a new meaning. I love moments like my Vida Abundante moment when two languages doesn't even begin to provide a wide enough vocabulary to describe the joy of belonging to the conqueror of death. Honestly, these are the moments when I remember why I study/LOVE Spanish and why I have to live my life for Jesus. Clearly, the words will never be enough. I'm still found speechless.

The word of the day: Well, I love the fact that I learn a new phrase pretty much everyday! So I'll share a new expression. Anyone who studied Spanish knows that Hasta Luego means see you later but I learned that if you'll be back pretty quickly you can say "Hasta ahora." This is one of my new favorites. So, if you didn't know hasta luego, now you have two new ones ;)

Hasta ahora tíos ;)
Janice

2 comments:

  1. WOW Janice...you are an amazing young lady. I miss and love you!!! This is the first time I am reading your blog, looks like I have a lot of catching up to do:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice!!!! Number one: I love when you post so please do it more frequently. I love hearing about your adventures in Spain and I'm so glad you're having a wonderful God experience as well! (:

    Number two: You were in my dream last night and you were insulting me and joking with me like the good old days and when I woke up the dream felt so real it was like you were still here and then I remembered that you weren't. :(
    I miss youuuuuuuuuuuu!

    But I'm glad you're having such a good time!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete