Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mi amigo, Juan Luis.

¡Day two of tutoring English to my new friend, Juan Luis! I had to reschedule my tutoring session from yesterday to today because our mother took us to the theater. When Esperanza tells us to do something, Katie and I do it. The other day she wanted us to go to a Ceramics museum. She explained that students always get to the end of their semester with a list of "should've could'ves". If we don't leave in a time frame that she finds appropriate she comes into our room aggressively speaking Spanish and waving her hands and pointing to her watch. ¡We've learned not to mess with mama Española! So, when I told her that I had to study and she said to switch it, I SWITCHED IT!
Hopefully, the pre-tutoring jitters won't last beyond the second session. It doesn't make sense to be nervous about a family as welcoming as the Santiagos. One thing can not be denied though.. the kid is a nerd. While we were going over possesive adjectives to prepare for his exam tomorrow, I gave him multiple examples. For two of my examples he very confidantly corrected me. Thankfully, he was just confused and it set me up beautifully to teach him the right form but his confidence made me extremely nervous. But atleast he asks questions now last time all he would say was "sì". Now, if only I could get him to put down his Spanish/English dictionary. If I, the American, am sitting in front of you ready to explain a word or tell you the spanish translation why should we spend ten minutes looking for it.
Despite his lack of social skills, I just find him to be wonderful. When I was about to leave he saw RedSox written on the front of my sweatshirt. He immediately stopped me from leaving to show me his mini Red Sox baseball bat that he got in New York. What an awesome kid! ¡¡In New York, he bought Boston paraphernalia!!

Dear Juan, I really hope you get an A on your exam tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment