Saturday, December 25, 2010

The F train to 2nd avenue.

On the way home the first time, we cried straight through New Jersey. And now, as I type this on a word document thousands of miles in the air above Wisconsin, the pain is still the same. On this trip I fell in love with many men that I may or may not ever see again. I also fell in love with 19 college age friends this week, my team. I believe the sadness our entire team is experiencing only proves the existence of love. God is love and I say with confidence that after the things I have seen, I know there is a God. He is the love that flows between the volunteers as they work together. He is the compassion experienced as two people share their faith love stories. He is the bond between complete strangers united in Him alone. He is the joy that breaks people to tears. 
Nothing on this trip or the last one compares in any way to the glory our team witnessed in our last meeting. It was for this trip that God protected the passengers of a white Toyota Corolla two weeks ago. Because of one man living out his faith at the Bowery, a life was changed. All I can pray for this man is that he would have a life full of abundant joy for what he has done.
These men have the answers. They know what faith is. They know what hope is. They know what love is. They know what joy is. They know what worship looks like. They know how to serve. They definitely know their God. I have never disagreed with what the Bowery has said or has represented until the last morning in our most humbling chapel service ever. They thanked us for coming and serving the least of these. This statement could not be more incorrect.
WE, the least of these, are eternally grateful that they allow us to come and serve the  
greatest of these!
the fearless team themselves

Hoy más que nunca te amo, Señor!

2 comments:

  1. Janice, I love your posting! God definitely knew what He was doing by sparing the two passengers of the Toyota Corolla. He has big things planned for you and Katy!! I am so glad you had such a great time at the Bowery and saw first hand all the God provided. I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete